• Search button
  • Search
  • Translate
Connect
City Officials Covering All Bases at Ballpark this Summer
Posted on 05/25/2021

JACKSON, Tenn. – With the City of Jackson issuing a nationwide Request for Proposals for the future use of the Ballpark at Jackson, the Ballpark is entering into a new and promising era. “We are very excited,” Mayor Scott Conger says when asked about the future of the Ballpark. “This Stadium is a treasured asset of this City, and, with its prime location right off I-40, we are very excited to see The Stadium 2.0.”

Opened in 1998 and situated in a beautiful location alongside the Interstate, the Ballpark catches the attention of all who pass by it. Says Mayor Conger, “The Ballpark announces to the world: ‘We are in Jackson.’ It’s a tremendous resource built by our community for our community, and it’s time for it to live up to its full potential.”

The Stadium most recently was under a license and use agreement with the owner of the Jackson Generals. But that agreement required the team continue to be part of minor league baseball. The Generals lost that status when Major League Baseball restructured its minor league system earlier this year and did not invite the Generals to be part of the new system – making the Generals the only team in the former Southern League not to receive such an invitation. This loss of affiliation put the Generals’ owner in material breach of its license agreement with the City. As a result, the agreement expires on May 30.

Earlier this month, the City issued its Request for Proposal (RFP), asking all interested parties to make proposals for operating the Ballpark into the future. The Mayor notes that the response to the RFP already has been very encouraging. “For some of our staff here, this is their third time working on a stadium proposal, and they tell me that this is the most excitement they have ever seen. We already are scheduling tours for some of those who have expressed serious interest in Jackson and our Stadium.”

The RFP process can take months. But, the Mayor stresses, “There is no need to rush this. We have seen how that plays out in the past. The City Council and I want a deliberative, transparent process. I look forward to exploring all the possibilities available to us, and determining which proposal reflects the best use of this precious City resource while best protecting the interests of our taxpayers.”

In the meantime, the City will operate the Stadium itself starting on May 31. “We are hiring staff and planning events,” says Mayor Conger. “We are talking with the Winnipeg Goldeyes of the American Association of Professional Baseball about playing their home games in our Stadium this summer. Although we have not received a response, we also have made a very fair proposal to the owner of the Jackson Generals that would allow them to use the Stadium for a MercyMe concert scheduled for June 3. In addition, we will be working with others on an event-by-event basis to bring sports, music, and other events to the Stadium. In short, even as we execute the RFP process in the best interests of the City, we are busy getting ready for a great summer at the Ballpark, with excitement and entertainment for all.”


Website by CivicLive. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.